Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekend Getaway

Thursday afternoon Mackenzie left to New Mexico with Bruce and Vivienne to go to Roger's Wedding. Erick couldn't get work off, so we couldn't go, but Mackenzie really wanted to. There wasn't enough room for Cierra to go too and this caused a little tension. So Erick and I decided to spend the weekend in Salt Lake (the spontaneity of this trip was inspired by Shannon and Terrie and the location was inspired by Nicole). It had been a rough couple of weeks between having my gallbladder out and a huge math test that I had at school, so I was ready for a break. We booked the hotel Thursday night and Cierra, Caden and I headed downtown Friday afternoon to check into the Hampton Inn. Erick met us there after he got off work and we went out to dinner and then spent the evening swimming in the indoor pool. Erick had to work all day Saturday, but the kids and I slept in until 8:30 a.m.! I didn't even have to cook breakfast, as the hotel provided it for free. After breakfast, the kids and I went swimming again and then went back to the room to watch a movie. Caden passed out, so Cierra and I decided to order a pizza for lunch. She thought it was pretty neat to have a pizza delivered to hotel room. At about 1:30 p.m., someone knocked on the door and it was Erick! He got off work early and surprised us. We decided to go to the mall and headed out. We soon discovered that the mall did not exist anymore........we felt a little silly that we had no idea it had been torn down. So we went to Gateway instead. It was a little chilly, but we still had a good time. We even got to ride in a horse
drawn-carriage. Cierra loves horses, so she was smiling ear to ear, but of course I forgot my camera. We did a little shopping and went to the Clark Planetarium. After that, we went back to the hotel and then out to dinner again. We were going to go swimnming again, but the kids both fell asleep early, so Erick and I made some popcorn and watched a movie. Because of the early bedtime, Caden and Cierra both woke up around 6:00 a.m......ugh! We ate breakfast and then went swimming again before we had to check out. It was so nice and relaxing to be away from home for a couple of days. We all rested a lot and watched a lot movies. I can't wait to do it again.

Cierra loved the pool and wanted to stay in there all day

Mommy and Caden (yes, I have tattoos, I made a lot of great and wise decisions when I was younger)

Caden testing out the water

Erick was happy to have some down time

Caden worn out and sleeping after a busy day

Caden and Cierra watched quite a few movies on the portable DVD player....I'm so glad that we brought it with us.

Cierra talking to Kenzie on the phone, while Caden insists on invading her personal space....lol

5 comments:

Terrie said...

Fun! Spontaneous trips are the best. Isn't it funny that all kids need to have a good time is hotel pool? Just a side note, Van has those same pj's that Caden is wearing in the pics...gotta love walmart.

Crystal said...

I am so glad you were able to have a fun weekend trip. Joel wants you to tell Roger, Congratulations on his wedding!,when you talk to him or have Vivian pass the message along. Joel was YM Pres. when Roger was in YMs. He was excited to hear he was getting married. Anyway, your trip sounds fun, even if there was no more mall. Love the pictures of your kids.

Amy said...

Your trip sounds awesome! With everyone going on spontaneous trips I'm feeling a little left out. I'll have to talk Rich into one soon. Good for you!

Shannon said...

Terrie is right, all you need is a hotel swimming pool and the kids will be entertained endlessly! I'm glad you guys were able to take a break and enjoy being away from work and school and cooking and cleaning!

Nicole said...

Well what can I say, that no one else has, I am so glad you got away, it makes the world of difference, and it just goes to show you, you don't have to spend a lot of money to have great family fun!