Thursday, August 21, 2008

Another month, another trial

This morning, Cierra and I, along with Erick and my Mom got up early to go to Primary Children's Hospital to meet with Dr. Lloyd, who is a pediatric neurologist. We went over the results of the EEG that she had last week and discussed all of her symptoms. She is having seizures and they officially diagnosed her with Epilepsy. She is having Complex Partial Seizures and Simple Partial Seizures. They affect only the right side of her brain. We are doing further testing next week (MRI) to make sure that there isn't an underlying cause for her seizures. About 25% of the time, they find a structural abnormality in the brain when people have partial seizures. It's nothing they can fix, but it helps to know that it's there. About 5% of the time, they find a growth of some sort, but that would be a whole different trial and I've had enough trials for the time being, so it's just not going to be that. They started her on medication and hopefully within the coming weeks, we will see a decrease in the amount of seizures that she's having and she can start to feel better. Cierra has really been great throughout all of this. I am so proud of her and I am so proud to be her Mom. Her only worry is about getting a shot, blood test or IV and so far, we've avoided all of those. I love you Cierra-Bear and I really hope you start feeling like yourself again soon!

Being a champ during the EEG

Just Cierra

10 comments:

Karebear said...

I have been wondering how Cierra is and what the doctors think. We have been praying for her (which is really cute to hear Anna pray for her). We will continue to keep you guys in our prayers and hope for the best.

Terrie said...

I am so sorry to hear that. Please let me know if you ever need anything. We will also be keep you guys in our prayers.

Shannon said...

I think it is definately your turn to have a break from trials. It's like those "easy button" commercials, we should all have one of those buttons! I hope that there isn't something more serious going on with Cierra. I can tell you that I have watched a number of Larry's family members that have epilepsy live very normal lives when they take their medications. We will keep your family in our prayers.

Dave said...

I was just getting ready to call you for the update. Please give Cierra our love. It's times like these that I always have the words of Dorey going through my head. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming."

Crystal said...

I am sorry to hear all you are going through. Just makes you wonder what the Lord wants you to learn. I hope it gets easier for you. You will be in our prayers.

Nicole said...

I like the comment about-"Keep Swimming" We say that at our house a lot, when things get tough. We're thinking of you!

Michelle Wilkes said...

Maybe you just have these trials so that you can know how much we all love you! We love you anyway, but at least we get to tell you that when things are tough! We'll keep Ceirra in our prayers, and remind her that if she is tough enough to go through all of this, she will probably be tough enough to beat up Shakayla soon. Not that we are encouraging that, but isn't it good to know that you are as tough as your meanie cousin? See, you are feeling better already, aren't you Cierra? Plus you can totally brag that you were bitten by a snake and lived to tell about it! We'll have to swap stories one of these days!!!

Amy said...

It looks like you're all being so brave through this. Cierra is an amazing little girl!

Linda said...

I just want you to know that I am so proud of you and the great mom that you are. You are such a fighter when it comes to your kids. You do whatever it takes to find the answers and help them. I know you have been overwhelmed with all of your challenges lately but you are truly a survivor. I am so proud to be your mom and I love you very much.

Sister Hamilton said...

Keep up the good work with your children. I have two kids with seizure problems, if they take their meds they do well. The meds do make them a bit drowsy. I just wanted you to know that the Lord is not punishing you or the children, He knows they have problems and He also knows if you know about them in the early stages you will see to it that things will get taken care of instead of like many parents who don't take care of problems when the children are young and then the problem gets way out of control. The Lord sent you these children because He knew you would do whatever it takes to make sure they had the best it takes to help them in their earthly journey.
Keep up the good work. He would tell you "Well done thou good and faithful servant". Love you tonz.