Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Possible Diagnosis

Caden has been doing speech therapy for a couple of months now with very little progress. On a good day, he can make the "b" sound a couple of times and he might say "uh oh", but these are both rare. It was recently brought to our attention that he may have Verbal Apraxia. Needless to say, I am heartbroken. I have shed more than a few tears the last few weeks while reading and learning about Apraxia and discovering that Caden fits the description perfectly. The speech therapist said that they don't like to make an official diagnosis until 2 1/2 or 3 years old because so many kids under two have speech delays, but all signs point to Apraxia. As a mother, I feel responsible and I want to be able to fix everything and I am having a hard time not being able to and I am feeling very helpless. With early intervention and lots of therapy, the prognosis is good, but it is always hard to hear that there is something wrong with your child. Sign language has been a wonderful tool in helping us understand Caden's needs and wants. He can sign over 75 signs now and is getting pretty good at it. I am so grateful to have some form of communication with him. Between Caden and finals, I have been very overwhelmed lately and have not felt like myself. I guess I just needed to get this all out because I feel a little better now. Thanks for reading if you got this far.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

I can't imagine what you are feeling as a mother. I'm glad Caden is picking up sign language and that you have that form of communication. We will keep Caden and you in our prayers.

Terrie said...

It is hard to hear that there could be a problem with one of your kids and it's even harder to understand why. It was really hard on us when we found out Joseph was bi-polar & ADHD. But as time goes on we have learned to deal with the diagnosis and everything that is associated with such a huge diagnosis. Make sure you talk to people when you need to, it helps even if it is just to vent.

Sister Hamilton said...

Kristen,
Just take one day at a time. You can only do what you can do TODAY. I understand when your child had difficulties, I have two. Find the best help you can for them, today there are all sorts of resources, give up the guilt and replace it with your committment to do all you can. Stay in school, it will help you feel good about yourself. You can do it and we are always here if you need us.

Crystal said...

Oh I am sorry. That must be frustrating for him too. I am glad he does well with signing. I was watching you sign things to Caden on Sunday and thought it was so cute.

Amy said...

Hi Kristin - They told us the EXACT same thing about Carson. They thought he had apraxia and we were doing "brushing techniques" and speech with him. I don't know if it's years of speech therapy or if he just grew out of it, but he just graduated from speech and now tests above average for his language abilities! There is always hope. And never assume the worst. Just take it one step at a time and focus on his strengths. Let me know if you want to know more about the brushing techniques. Good luck!!!

Karebear said...

Kristin,
Good luck. I understand how you feel when you just need to vent and then you can feel all better. I hope Ben is up to it today because the kids have been pills and I am ready to vent on him. Perhaps the blog is a better place to do that! Good luck with Caden and let us know how is goes!

Nicole said...

I really love what everyone has had to say. I love that you can have a trial, and so many can relate and give advice, or just say "It's going to be ok, because we have been there too" We have been there too, with Mason, and are still there! But I can honestly say that we have been truly blessed and lead to do the things that have been best for him. I know it is hard to see it now, but you and your family will become stronger if you let the Lord lead you in all that you do for Caden.

Michelle Wilkes said...

Hmm, I've never had the gift for saying helpful things. I am just sitting here wondering when things are going to lift a little for your family! Something that someone told me recently has helped me, so I'll pass it on. God isn't as concerned with our comfort as he is with our character. Think about that a little, helps me have a different perspective on our trials. One thing that is always helpful, though, is to know how much people love you. So, you better know that I love you tons!!!! Hang in there!!