Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hot Air Balloon Festival.......not so much

Now that I am starting to feel better, I have been trying to plan more outings and things to do around town because my poor kids have been stuck in the house with me for the last three months. There is not a whole lot to do here, so when I hear about something, I try to go. One of Caden's teacher's told me that there was going to be a Hot Air Balloon Festival last week, so we decided to go. We all got up at 6am last Saturday morning (yes, 6am on a Saturday) so that we could see the balloons set up and take off. We got there right at 7am and there were no balloons set up and all the cars were leaving. They had decided to cancel it because of weather. Roswell doesn't really have much weather, so of course the one day that it's windy and cloudy and looks like it might actually rain, is the day of this festival. We decided to wait a few minutes and see if anyone was going to set up or not. Lucky for us, one person decided to set up his balloon and take it for a spin over Roswell, out of the sixty that were supposed to. We were happy that we got to see at least one balloon. I have learned my lesson though, no matter how guilty I feel for being sick the last few months, there is nothing worth getting up for at 6am on a Saturday.

Waiting in the cold to see if anyone is brave enough to take off

Finally, someone starts setting up!




7 comments:

Linda said...

I'm not sure what you were expecting? Think about it..... you ARE living in Roswell.

At least you made the effort!

Karebear said...

What a disappointment. Erick definately didn't look excited about being awake. Cierra on the other hand had her cheese face ready!

Kenzie Leigh said...

I don't see what's so wrong with getting up at six. I do it 6 days a week............

BubbaRooster said...

Someone already beat me to the punch here, but like it says..... Roswell.
I actually think it wasn't a balloon; it was a UFO.
You know what? Even THAT is not worth getting up at 6AM, you're right

Michelle Wilkes said...

I don't understand why it has to be in the morning? Do balloons not float in mid-afternoon?

e said...

Michelle makes a good point. Why are all balloon festivals so blasted early in the morning? But kudos to you for getting up early and making the effort!

Shannon said...

I think you deserve some credit here...you WANTED to do something fun with the family and you made it happen..even if it was a bust. Good for you. Maybe the Roswell UFO Festival in July will be a bigger hit.